Thursday, August 24, 2006

I should have stayed away from the library

I didn't intend to go to the library today. I have a rather tall stack of books waiting for me, mentally labeled "must read before school begins" in my living room. Some of those have been already listed below. However, my son asked me to drop his check off for his fencing coach this evening. That left me with forty-five minutes to fill until I had to pick up the guys from work and well, the library is between where I was and where I had to go. Besides, it is air conditioned...and the books are free.

I always check the free magazine racks....recently I've found a lot of good stuff on those racks like old Victoria magazines and new World magazines, the very issue I'd been wanting to read. I always check the new books, too. This time there were two "must read" books staring me in the face. The new book by Jim Wright called The Real James Herriot, a Memoir of my Father was the first book I found. I've read some outstanding recommendations for this book. His dad's books are in a place of honor in my living room bookshelves. I was so happy to hear he was as nice a man in real life as I'd imagined. Otherwise, I wouldn't be interested in the book.

The second book is Ted Dekker's book called Showdown. It's for my husband, who was quite happy when I showed it to him. He enjoys Dekker's books. The few I've read scare the heck out of me.

So I will begin The Real James Herriot tomorrow. I've made a promise to at least make an attempt to stay away from the library for awhile.

No comments: