Friday, August 25, 2006

Homeschool Meme

Copperswife extended an invitation to take part in this meme. It was fun!

1) One Homeschooling Book You Have Enjoyed--I have many but my favorite was Beyond Survival by Diana Waring. It was one of the first homeschool books I read and I still consider it one of the best. (A close second is Karen Andreola's book, A Charlotte Mason Companion, Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning.) I learned something from all the homeschool books and magazines. What I learned the most is that I have to "do school" the way that is best for us, pulling what works from various recommendations.

2) One Resource You Wouldn't Be Without-- My library, both the public library and the personal library I have built over the years (although some books have already been given to my daughter for her future homeschooling needs).

3) One Resource You Wish You Had Never Bought-- I have to agree with Coppers wife on this one. I may wish I had the money back on some but I learned what worked and what did not work along the way by those mistakes. Nothing went to waste as I was able to pass on to others those things that didn't work for me.

4) One Resource You Enjoyed Last Year -- This may be cheating but I have to say it is the local homeschool co-op. Joining it was the only way my son could participate in a Debate team. On a more personal level (not a co-op), it has to be the Cornerstone Curriculum's fantastic world view course called Starting Points...loved it!

5) One Resource You Will Be Using Next Year -- The local community college for an advanced math course.

6) One Resource You Would Like to Buy -- A laptop computer.

7) One Resource You Wish Existed -- Free maid service.

8) One Homeschooling Catalog You Enjoy Reading -- This year it would have to be the Veritas Press catalog. My old favorite was the Elijah Company, it was a homeschooling manual as well as catalog. I'd have to say the catalog that got used the most when teaching the elementary years was my Sonlight catalog. We used the actual curriculum a couple of years (and found it excellent) but I also carried the catalog with me to the library on the years we didn't use their curriculum.

9) One Homeschool Website You Use Regularly -- I don't use websites like I did when I was teaching the elementary years. These days I'd have to say my favorite "homeschool tool" website is Google.

10) I also welcome anyone else who wants to take part on their blog to do so. It gets you thinking.

No comments: